Monday, May 5, 2014

Hot Chocolate 15K - Minneapolis

I had the opportunity to run the Hot Chocolate 15K in Minneapolis, MN on April 19th. Also known as "America's Sweetest Race" I had been looking forward to it for quite some time! It was my first race of the season and I had used a Hal Higdon 10 Miler plan to prepare. I hit some bumps in the road while training and between weather and injuries I didn't arrive feeling 100% but I wasn't overly concerned as my goal was simply to get a feel for a larger/longer road race and enjoy the scenery. Note: If you are just looking for the cliff notes on the event feel free to skip to the bottom! 

Packet pickup was at a convention on Friday night. The swag bag consisted of a half-zip pullover with the race logo embroidered on it and we got the opportunity to try on a sample first to make sure we had the right size, which I thought was nice. If you are a chocolate lover you will enjoy the opportunity to snack on some free treats while browsing the vendor booths! 

Pre- race: Note the hair flying in that darned wind
Race morning dawned overcast, cold and VERY windy. The run was set to start on West River Parkway near the Stone Arch Bridge. When the time came to line up in our corrals I noticed that I had been placed somewhat close to the front of the pack. While flattered, I assumed this must be some kind of mistake so I ambled my way towards the back of the pack, thinking I'd be closer to the group going my pace. It only took about a .25 mile after the starting horn blared to realize this was a pretty horrible mistake. I was stuck in a sea of runners moving not much faster than a brisk walk and I had done it to myself. I began the work of darting around trying to get moving without being rude and cutting off any other runners, but it was slow work, and I hadn't been prepared to sprint/jog. After a couple miles of that I was able to get a little space and find my stride. Make no mistake I now have  permanent note in my head "Don't dispute your corral. Just go with it!" 

Once I got a little space and was able to find a comfortably challenging pace I had a chance to take in some of the beautiful scenery I was passing through. We crossed over the Mississippi river a few times and ran through the University of Minnesota campus as well as some artsy looking neighborhoods with brick streets (note: I found running on the brick annoying, pretty, but annoying) One thing I was not prepared for were the hills. I knew I was taking a chance with the weather booking a race in Minnesota in early spring but I figured at least it would be flat....right? WRONG! I found myself not only battling a very strong cold wind but hills. Long, steep, God forsaken hills that left my legs crying. 

The mile 6 checkpoint was at the very top of one such hill. It was at that point that I had to slow to nearly a walk to try and catch my breath and give my legs a break. This is where I vowed to never put off training hills again. I would sacrifice distance to train hills, I would make hills my best friend just so I never had to face the punishment of being undertrained for them ever again. 

My game face after the mile 6 hill.
This is what "holy crap" looks like.
I shuffled/limped/joggled my way to mile 7 at snails pace. The sky was dark, the wind was cold and the crowd was thinning. I suddenly felt very tired and very alone. I knew my goal finishing time was out the window but I couldn't give up. It was time to rally. The thought crossed my mind that my husband just might be waiting for me at the finish. Having battled IT band issues for the past few months he had wanted to start and give it a shot but had waved me ahead near mile 4 and I hadn't seen him since. We usually race together and I had always wondered how it would feel to have him at the finish line waiting with a smile and cheering me on. With that thought in mind I dug deep and asked myself "Is this really as fast as you can run right now?" the answer was a solid "NO." It was time to take it home. 

Around mile 8 I decided I hated every song on my Ipod and ripped my headphones from my ears, making an awkward attempt to shove them into my bra for the rest of the race. I'm glad I didn't just pitch them in my frustration, but the thought did cross my mind. The sun started to peek through the clouds and I realized I was actually gaining some headway as I passed clusters of other racers. 


As I pushed up yet another hill I saw a lone woman on a bike ringing a cowbell (I resisted the urge to yell "MORE COWBELL" as I ran by, but it was really, really hard) proclaiming that there was only a half mile left, we were almost there! 

Mile 8: Almost home! 

As I neared the finish line I was starting to flag but when I heard the announcer say "Laurianne Faugstad of Lisbon, Iowa!" and the crowd started to cheer I got just the pep I needed to find my finishing kick. As I crossed the finish line one of the spectators ran out to give me a high five and tell me nice job. Kind words never sounded so wonderful. The power of kind words, even from a stranger, never ceases to amaze me. It can honestly keep me running when I would have quit miles ago. It's just wonderful to know someone is pulling for you. As I neared the end of the chute I saw my husband waiting for me with the smile that had kept me going when the running got rough. Suddenly the wind didn't seem so strong and cold and my legs didn't hurt so much. I had put 9.3 miles to bed and I was happy. 

We made our way back to the post race party where I was able to pick up my mug of hot cocoa and goodies. I ran this race, as I do all of them, for my IR4 Buddy Ellarie and I could not wait to send the mug to her. Overall it was a great experience and I'd love to come back to Minneapolis and run it again, maybe teach those hills a thing or two!

If you are considering running a HC 5K or 15K here are my cliff notes on the event. It was put on by Ram Racing:

- The 15K entry fee was about $65 but it did include the pullover jacket as your swag bag. You could pay that much for a pullover alone so I thought it was worth it.

- It was well organized, but as in any major city parking was a bit of a challenge.

- There is no race day packet pickup, so if you are traveling for the event like I was you will need to get to the convention before it closes on Friday night to pick up your number and swag bag. There are special hotel rates available to racers if you register ahead.

-The aid stations along the route offered water, sport drink and at one of them chocolate.

-I thought the course for Minneapolis was both beautiful and challenging. Having heard from other racers who have done this event in different cities the organizers do a nice job of choosing courses.






No comments:

Post a Comment