Thursday, May 22, 2014

This Is How I Roll


With no daycare for the rest of the week and the hubs away at work I thought it would be a great time to kick up my home-workout game as well as get some quality time in with my foam roller. 

Most people think of foam rolling as something reserved for runners, but it is excellent for swimmers, lifters, cross fitters and everyone in-between. On top of aiding in injury prevention it can provide many of the same benefits of massage/deep tissue massage but you can do it yourself right at home! 

There are many different kinds of  rollers on the market and each has it's purpose. Most will fall into 1 of 3 general categories. Smooth, Grid, or Rumble (It's ok if you chuckled a little, you can come sit with me and the other immature kids) 

Smooth rollers are your best bet if you are a first time user as they are the least intense and come in various levels of firmness (still ok to laugh) I'd recommend starting with something a little on the softer side. As you notice in the picture some athletes who want something smooth but extra firm use PVC pipe (Yikes!) You can generally find these priced anywhere from $15-$40

Next up are the grid rollers! These are a personal favorite and the best bang for your buck in my opinion. They are a medium intensity but allow you to get a deeper massage on top of being incredibly durable. They are usually a bit higher in price, around $50+ but worth the money, especially if you feel you're ready to graduate from a smooth roller. 

Last up are the Rumble rollers. They provide the most intense massage, and aren't generally the best bet for beginners, though they certainly have their place. There are 2 levels of firmness available and in addition to being the most intense they are also the highest in price. Usually starting around $65 and going upwards of $150.

I found some excellent how-to information courtesy of runners world HERE! They have videos on how to target each muscle group as well as more general information on the benefits of this practice. Hopefully this provides you with a good jumping off point to get going and start reaping the benefits of self massage! (That was the last time, promise) 








2 comments:

  1. What are your favorite exercises with the foam roller? I have never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have tight hip flexors so I really focus on them when I roll! Here is a great video on how-to because it's kind of a tough spot to hit! I also like working on my back/neck/shoulders

      http://www.howcast.com/videos/513820-How-to-Foam-Roll-Your-Quads-Foam-Rolling

      Delete