Thursday, May 29, 2014

Ice Ice Baby

Today's workout was a "key" workout in the training plan (7 points!) and I had been looking forward to it! 

It was a Sunny 66 degree morning and I headed out with my assignment to run 30! It was after I added this photo to my Facebook page I got the question "Do you mean run 30 miles or minutes?" In my haste to talk about how fun my workout was I forgot to add MINUTES to my photo! The instructions are to run 30 minutes, at a challenging pace. 

For me that was about a 9:30/mile. I can't wait to say that I can knock out 8 minute miles, but at this point that is still just a goal for me. But this is why I'm training, and hopefully by Marathon day it will be a reality! 

One of my biggest fears for both training and the actual event is how my knees will hold up. I always ice them as soon after a run as I possibly can, just to baby them. This is another reason I'd love to drop some weight, not so much for cosmetic reasons (ok full disclosure, maybe a little for cosmetic reasons) but also to lessen some of the impact on my joints. I read that when you run your knees absorb 3x the force of your body weight and after 6 operations I'm confident it couldn't hurt to lessen that force if possible. 

In these first few days of training I've been bouncing around a lot emotionally. When I'm not running I'm so excited, thinking to myself

"Heck yeah! You're going to run a Marathon!"

and when I AM running it sounds more like 

"Uuuummmmm so yeah…..about that marathon. That's really far…..I think I hate this song…..yes, I  definitely hate this song. Why would I download that!? Augh! Are those my thighs rubbing together!? Gross. I'm tired and it's hot…..how about I don't and just say I did? I could just turn around now! How in the world will I ever run 26.2 miles!? There is no way." 

Negative self talk is something I have always struggled with. So as part of training I'm going to work on changing to a more encouraging thought process, with a can-do attitude! 

They always say running is a mental sport, and I'm officially getting back into shape. 

Happy Training! 

No comments:

Post a Comment