Friday, June 20, 2014

What is your intention?

This morning over breakfast I was paging through the Womens Health Big Book of Yoga by Kathryn Budig and came across a section bluntly entitled "What is your Intention?" My first thought was "Woah, I haven't even finished my coffee yet!" As I read on I learned it was a section to monitor my practice. I could fill it out before beginning, then check back in as time elapsed to see how my answers evolved. I went to turn the page thinking that I was beyond something as simple as answering a few questions, but I stopped and set the ego aside. I was starting from not much more than scratch when it comes to yoga practice. Did I want to learn? Yes. Was I open to learning? Yes. Was I willing to accept guidance from someone with more experience than me? Of course.

So with pen and paper in hand I dug in. As I am writing this I am keenly aware that I've promised to be real and transparent with you. I've spent some time thinking and decided that when it comes to this particular exercise I want so much to share it with you, I am keeping my own responses private, all except one. I wanted to answer each question honestly, without fear of judgement effecting what I wrote. I didn't want to worry about whether my thoughts were "right" or "wrong" my sole purpose was honesty with myself, what leads to the single question I am sharing with you. The question said "My goal for the next year is: " 

When I answered I wrote, almost before I became aware of it "to live a life of truth, both to my myself and my loved ones. To learn to honestly love myself for who I am and how I was created, not hate myself for what I am not".

I am only human, and though I may not like it, I do care what others think of me. Though I want to be courteous of others and how my decisions affect them, my goal is still to be true to myself and who I am, who I want to be part of my life, and how I want to spend my time. To me, this is living honestly, and that is my intention. 

I want to take this opportunity to grow and refine my character, and I am hoping you will be able to do the same. The following are the questions included in the exercise. Regardless of whether you are practicing yoga or not I think there is so much to learn about yourself by answering these thoughtfully and honestly as you can. Introspection can be terrifying as well as enlightening. I think it takes courage, and today is your day to be courageous! 

What's your Intention?

1. I am practicing yoga because:
2. I am happiest when I think about:
3. My goal for the next month is:
4. My goal for the next year is:
5. My top two challenge poses are:
6. My most humbling experience on the mat was:
7. My fears in life are:
8. I love:
9. What makes me smile instantly is:
10. My favorite part of my own body is:
11. My top five unique gifts are:
12. My favorite yoga pose is:
13. My least favorite yoga pose is:



I am looking forward to being able to see how I learn and grow as I add yoga to the mix of marathon training. Taking the first steps towards something unfamiliar is hard, and even at the ripe age of 28 I sometimes find myself thinking I'm too old to try something new. I'm making the choice to push those thoughts aside and move forward, knowing that there is no time limit on starting from scratch and if I give this a chance I'll be glad I did. 

Today I wish you not only happy training but happy writing as well. Take the time to really stop and think. Decide, for yourself. Not for your friends, your family, or your boss, for you. 

What is your intention? 



2 comments:

  1. Laurianne, I thought about this too this week....and like you said without even thinking about it I wrote "to be the definition of love"....when we allow ourselves to be free and let our best shine through we can come up with some good stuff!! I love your intention you wrote!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, for reading and for your kind words. Yours is wonderful as well!

    ReplyDelete