Thursday, July 24, 2014

CrossFit Credence and the Worlds Best Bootcamp

Heidi R. and I after bootcamp:
We're smiling because it hurts so good!

I was recently invited by a reader, Heidi, to attend a CrossFit bootcamp here in Rochester. I was wary at first. CrossFit has a pretty tough reputation (in my opinion) and with all the injuries I've been nursing I wasn't sure how I would do. Having said that I've always wanted to try C.F and see what the fuss was all about so I put on my big girl pants and decided to give it my best try. I definitely didn't want to miss out on a great opportunity. Turns out I'm very glad I didn't! 

I showed up to CrossFit Credence and was warmly welcomed by both the staff, boot camp veterans and fellow newbies. When it was time to get started we warmed up by playing "Keep-away" to get us moving and get the blood flowing. It was a total blast and worked nicely in terms of getting loose and ready to work.

Afterwards we started with the bulk of the work and my very first WOD. (workout of the day) We were partnered, tutored on form and given instructions to split up rounds of sit-ups, pushups, burpees, air squats and 200 meter runs. The objective was for my partner and myself to complete as many rounds as possible in the allotted time. I was really loving the teamwork vibe and I did try harder knowing I didn't want to let my partner down. I was able to go wider on the squats so as not to ruin my knee. Even though I was working my tail off it was honestly so much fun! 

I loved it enough to sign up for the next round of "Worlds Best Bootcamp" starting on August 16th! My intention is to work it in as my cross training for the half marathon. I really think it will help me finish getting ready for Tough Mudder Wisconsin (September 6th! Here we come!) and give me a good push into my next great Adventure. 

We will see how bootcamp goes but as it stands my hope is to complete camp, finish my 13.1 and start CrossFit. I'm ready to shift gears and my body is definitely letting me know I need to cut back my mileage and make some changes before my next round of longer distance training. I've heard wonderful things about the athletic edge CrossFit devotees have in other sports (Triathlons, Running, Lifting, you name it) I can't wait to see what it does for me! I'm changing perspective and going back to the basics of being fit.

Run Hard, Lift Heavy

Live Free! 


The bootcamp crew! (with me leering behind them flashing a peace sign)


No comments:

Post a Comment