Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cultivating Gratitude



With all the challenges I've been facing recently I've noticed myself start to struggle with morale. It happens to all of us, we get bogged down, focusing on all of the negatives in our lives and forget to stop and be grateful for all of the beautiful things.  

It sounds so simple, but for the past week or so I've been doing an exercise with myself I like to call cultivating gratitude. I try to start first thing in the morning, but I use this any time worry or stress starts to take hold of me. I take a moment to think about things I am grateful for in my life and say a prayer of thanks. It is such a simple and basic act, I'm almost embarrassed to say I've had to work on doing it, but it truly does leave my spirit refreshed and my mind less troubled. 

For example, last night I was pounding out my miles on the treadmill and started to think to myself 

"Augh, I hate this. I just can't stand the treadmill! It's so boring, my ankles hurt. Am I done yet!?" 

I decided I needed to change my mental channel. I made a choice to turn off the negative talk and remind myself  

"I am so lucky to be here and have the ability to run! If I get up earlier I could even run outside! This is hard but every mile is putting me further towards my goal. I can finish this run strong and make myself proud!" 

It's a simple act of choosing the positive over the negative. I say it again, choose the positive!

You are as happy as you choose to be! No one and nothing can take that power away from you. What a tremendous gift! 

Here is to counting our blessings and using this gift every day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment