Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Doing Shots!

As many of you know I've struggled with my skin since I was a teen. As if being fair-skinned isn't frowned upon enough I've also struggled with acne and tend to bruise easily due to anemia. (sexy, right!?) 

About 6 months ago I stopped taking my birth control pill. I have an uncommon form of epilepsy called "catamenial". Not a lot is known about this particular form but in a nutshell my body copes with hormone fluctuations by sending me into a seizure. Again….sexy. Some women get PMS, I get seizures. What's a girl to do? I had been seizure free on my pill for a few months but then they started up again suddenly. The hope was if I could get off the pill and get my body to normalize the seizures might slow down or even stop. 

The good news is I've been seizure free for months now! The bad news is when I quit the pill my skin went into a tailspin. I did alright for a few weeks and then acne reared it's ugly head. I've been fighting to keep it under control, but it seems to be a losing battle for me. 

No one at any age wants to worry about breakouts, but for a newly 28 year old woman it's especially embarrassing. I've done a lot of reading and asking around as to what my fresh faced friends use to keep their skin clear. Some *shakes fist…you know who you are* are just blessed with a beautiful complexion and haven't had to deal with breakouts. I got a variety of answers from others but a surprising product kept coming up from those interested in natural health & wellness.

Apple Cider Vinegar! I immediately went to google and started doing some research. I had heard of the product of course and even used it for cooking, but for skin!? Never. The "evidence" was overwhelming! People all over the world have used ACV *what the cool kids call it* both topically and by ingesting it, to clear up acne.

So today I ran out to the store, scooped up a bottle and trotted my hopeful butt back home to take a shot of it pronto. It should be noted that I was told EXPLICITLY that it had to be the ACV with "The Mother" no other would do! *insert 'Your Mom' joke here* So when I purchased I was careful to read the label and be sure I got the right kind. I was able to find Organic Raw ACV with The Mother at Target for around $6. Not a bad price for perfect skin potion! 

So I get home, give the bottle a gentle shake, pour myself a shot, and bottoms up! 

Now when I say this shot was gross, I am really not doing it justice. Gross is a GROSS *HA!* understatement. It was Gnarly. It smelled like a foot and didn't taste much better. Tangy in the nastiest way, with a sour bite is on the right track. I was barely able to keep it down. Now how am I supposed to get glowing beautiful skin if I can't even keep it down!? 

Something has got to change so I am going back to the drawing board to see if I can find a recipe for some sort of ACV 'cocktail' that will still get me the goods without the gross. If I do find this miracle recipe I will be sure to share so you too can reap the benefits of me taking quite possibly the most disgusting shot of my entire life (and that is saying something!) 

Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment