Friday, July 4, 2014

Firecracker 5K Race Recap

Happy Independence Day! 


Today was the annual Firecracker 5k and it was wonderful! It was an absolutely glorious morning, around 70 degrees with a perfect breeze. The day started at 6AM when my brothers, sisters, cousin, husband and I all rushing to get as much 'Merica into our outfits as we possibly could. When we all piled into the van to head to town it looked like Old Glory threw up in there, AWESOME

'Merica
The race starts at the track and it was so fun to see former school-mates as well as my Coach. All the smiling familiar faces made for a great way to start the day. 

We walked outside the track bounds and the race was on. I had decided earlier that I wanted to run without my watch and just go by my feels. I've been working on speed and today I chose a challenging pace but one I thought I could hold for the entire race.

It was the same roundabout course as every year but it seemed to fly by today. I don't know if it was the beautiful weather or the great vibes but I was loving it. The final stretch is along the track and as I ran it home no times were shouted out so I wasn't sure how I did but I wasn't concerned. 

In the end it turns out I missed a medal by a minute and 42 seconds but I was still all smiles. My brother Dan, sister Christa, and cousin James all brought home some hardware and my crazy outfit got lots of laughs from the people in town cheering us on, which made running in hot, not-so-strechy, American Flag tight's totally worth it. 

Today, my friends, was a good day!

The 2014 Firecracker Crew


No comments:

Post a Comment